Map of Travels

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Downtime in Bari and Ferry to Greece

Hey everyone, sorry the blog posts have been slower. Not much to say since I left Rome. I stayed in Bari for three nights at the same hostel as Kristen did, Bari Belle Camere. Really nice hostel, got my own room for cheap. Bari was a really nice, very Italian city. Lots of shopping and a cool medieval section. Unfortunately timing (and laziness) didn't let me go on any day trips from there. Mostly I think I needed a few days to recharge. I have been going non-stop since Dublin, and it was beginning to wear on me.

Yesterday I took an overnight ferry to Greece, Supfast Ferries. Bari to Patras. The ferry was nice, and the food actually wasn't too expensive. It was pretty good and there was a selection. The airline seats were worth the extra price, but you really have to stake your territory. I didn't head down to sleep until 11, and by then my seat had been taken. Normally I would have asked for it back, but it was a family and it was a little girl in my seat cuddled up with her mom. I couldn't do it, that would be like punching bambi. A lot of people without seats will also steal them or spread out on the ground. I slept on the ground for the first 4 hours, only to wakup and find my water stolen. Little sketchy. After we docked at the first stop, I went back down and found the family gone. I laid out across some seats and got some real sleep (with my backpack in my stomache, wasn't taking any chances after the water). One person (who did not have a seat) claimed they were sleeping there, at which point I pulled out my ticket and told him to get lost. Nice ferry, but some of the people on it were nasty.

The coolest part of the ride were the friends I made. Met a very cool couple from Newfoundland and two other couples from Portugal. I hung out with them for most of the ride, which made it a lot more fun. 15 hours on a boat doesn't feel long at all when you're making friends. Now I'm in a hostel in Athens, waiting for laundry to finish before I head to the airport to pickup a beautiful young woman who will be touring the Cyclades with me! Less than 4 hours until shes here!!! While we're in the Cyclades I won't have much internet, so expect the next post sometime next week. With pictures of course.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you enjoyed Italy. Stephen and I agree with you, there is no better food anywhere else. Pretty neat that you got to see Mark and the girls and had a really comfortable night's sleep. Hope you and Kristen enjoy Greece. Hugs, Grandma & Stephen

    ReplyDelete

Calendar

 
© Greg Galante 2009. All rights reserved.