Map of Travels

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Egyptian Museum and Problems at the Windsor Palace

Yesterday I got to enjoy the Egyptian Museum. It is pretty cool how much stuff they have to see. Thanks to the Ancient Egyptian preoccupation with the after life, there is just a ton of stuff from this period of history. All in great condition. And of course the sci-fi nerd in me was comparing all of it to the props, etc from Stargate. I know I'm a loser. Because of how much there was, it took me all day to do that and get my train ticket to Alexandria. Speaking of which, I was not aware that the "waiting in line" concept is altogether Western. Egyptians do not follow this concept and simply elbow their way to the front of the ticket window. So again, when in Rome. It wasn't too hard to get my ticket.

Today I took the train to Alexandria. It was pretty cool to see the Nile Delta region of Egypt from the train. Everyone in Alexandria is very helpful and friendly. Thank god my Cairo hostel let me keep my big backpack there while I am here. I'm staying with them again before my flight to Istanbul, so that should work out perfect. Unfortunately, the 4 star hotel I'm staying at in Alexandria is actually worse than my hostel in Cairo. It's incredible. First the chair in my room collapses out from under me. Next the toilet starts leaking everywhere. My A/C isn't doing anything, the room is sweltering. And to add a cherry to it all, the "free" wifi, doesn't reach my room. Fantastic. So EVERY reason I stayed at this hotel has gone to hell. My hostel in Cairo was LITERALLY better than this hotel. I feel bad saying this too, because the staff has done everything in their power to help me. It isn't a fault of theirs, it's the hotel which is clearly in need of renovation. It's beautiful on the surface, but underneath it is falling apart. Sad really. Anway, enough ranting, I'm off to shower and plug in my fan. Thank you parents for sending that! And thank you Kristen for bringing it to me. Without you guys I would die of heat exhaustion tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Calendar

 
© Greg Galante 2009. All rights reserved.