Map of Travels

Friday, July 9, 2010

Vatican, Basilica, and Florence

So I had to do these on two separate days. On the day I went to the Vatican Museum, the Basilica was closing up at around 1. So by the time I was out of the Museum, it was too late. Apparently there was some event going on in the Basilica that day.

So.... I'm not an art guy. Not that I can't appreciate the difficulty, the history, and the religious or cultural significance of a piece. I just.... don't care. I'm sorry I don't. I know I should, and that this is an intellectual fault or missing piece for me. But I just don't care. As far as art museums go, the Vatican Museum is probably second only to the Louvre in Europe (and by far the most religious pieces). It really is a very large, intricate, and historic collection. But to me, it was an overcrowded building (it was clearly never built for the level of volume it gets) with lots of stuff I didn't really care to see. Oh and some nice little asian girl hit me in the face with a parasol and then got made at me about it. I did however enjoy the Sistine Chapel. Mostly because the police officers in there make sure no one can speak a word. It is DEAD silent. Which I liked, it was very respectful both to the religious and historical significance of the place.

Florence came the next day. I hopped a train to see my Uncle Mark and cousins. Had a very nice walk through most of Florence. Not on purpose actually, first we got gelatto, then we went to two different English book stores, followed by dinner. Everything except dinner wasn't planned, but it was a lot of fun. I've always loved Florence. Something about the city combines my favorite parts of Italy. Dinner was fantastic, I shoveled down a big pizza before everyone else got their food. It was that good. I've said it a lot, but I'll say it again. If Italy had no history or monuments or anything, I would still come for the food. After staying up late talking with my Uncle about pretty much everything, I got to crash in a very comfortable room that was NOT a sweat box (thank you thank you thank you Uncle Mark). And then back to Rome in the morning with Lucia. (Actually she got off a few stops prior to Rome, but it was the same train)

When I got back, I rushed over to try again with the Basilica. I have to say, the whole Vatican is much nicer in the afternoon. I'm not sure if that is because the most touristy tourists all go in the morning, but the Basilica was quite pleasant. It is a very very very large structure, which I got to go up. I thought about taking all 552 stairs... but then remembered my feet have to get me all the way round the world. So instead I took the elevator option, which still required 300 and change. The view from the top is awesome of course. You can see the whole city for miles around. Took some great pictures. They even let you walk around the lower roof part as well, which is kind of cool. Got some great shots from there too. (On facebook soon) Also in the afternoon, the sun comes into the interior of the Basilica just right, so you get some beautiful and somehow very religious pictures inside. I really enjoyed the Basilica. Sorry Vatican Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Calendar

 
© Greg Galante 2009. All rights reserved.