Map of Travels

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Ia and Fira in Santorini

We took an early ferry to Santorini the next day. Milos was flat land moving up to hills and mountains with cliffs sometimes on the shore. Santorini was one massive cliff face on the west that slopes down to beaches in the east. The port is at the bottom of the cliff and we took a bus to Fira, then another to Ia. Ia was just like it looks in post cards and puzzles. When we got in, we grabbed a gyro, not thinking much of it. It was the best gyro in all of Greece. It was fantastic. It's the place right after you get off the bus in Ia. Amazing. We started walking back the way the bus came along the major road in Ia, so we could see all of Ia. As we walked we came across a little old lady climbing down some stairs. Kristen asked me if we should help her and before I could answer, the old lady asked for help. Kristen and I (mostly Kristen) helped her get across the street and to her apartment. She was the sweetest old Greek lady who spoke only 4 words of english. She was so happy just to be helped, she almost broke into tears. After that we had a Ia photo shoot with both Kristen and I. Oh! I forgot to mention. My camera got toasted during the first day in Milos. I tried to go for a swim with it. So no pictures from Greece from me, but Kristen promised to pass me some pictures to post. I also got a very nice replacement camera in Athens, so there will be pictures from here on.

Once the sun started to set, the tourists started to swarm. We elbowed our way out of Ia, and went and had dinner in Fira as the sun setted. A delicious beef dish to start, then a vegetable dish for Kristen (which I don't think was her favorite) and a tasty meatball dish for me. All on a rooftop overlooking the city and the east side of the island as the sun set. After we took a walk and watched the cruise ships and volcano island to the west before heading for the bus. Our ferry back to Milos was a little late, so we didn't get back to Milos until 4am. We were exhausted! But it was so much fun. Next post is our last day in Milos and last day in Athens. After I will post about my first day in Cairo and then hopefully upload some Pyramid pictures. But not for a little while, because I need to get some food in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Calendar

 
© Greg Galante 2009. All rights reserved.